Thursday 3 May 2012

Moltmann on open communion

There's a good post here from Richard Beck. I think Moltmann's on the right lines; I particularly loathe the idea that eating together has some connection with chuch discipline, or that access to it should be restricted. That strikes me as even worse than the situation Paul critiqued in Corinth, where some (presumably those organising the meal) were stuffing their faces, while others got there late and went hungry.

I'd suggest though, that in practical terms, a cup of coffee and a biscuit together after the service, or a bring and share meal, is probably more meaningful to many people than a ritual 'meal' in the service. Beck's hit the nail on the head with his last paragraph. Years ago, I was at a communion service organised around a picnic, with communion taken during the meal. We should do things like that more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment